Children with Mito and Sports

Powered By Blogger

Do you know someone with Mitochondrial Disease?

Shawn

Shawn
Shawn on Vacation in Punta Cana

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Shawn and Basketball his Decision

So after Shawn's first attempt at basketball didn't go well - I let him make the decision if he wanted to try it again on Saturday. I encouraged him all week but didn't push it on him. He made his own decision. About an hour before we were to leave for basketball he decided it "wasn't for him". I told him no problem, I'm glad you tried and we will move on to something else now. He has been playing Guitar Heroe frequently (btw - this is great hand eye coordination and good for low muscle tone)so i mentioned that maybe i should show him a few notes on my guitar. He is very excited! Tonight after he does his homework Shawn will have his first guitar lesson.

Whenever I mention sports and Ryan (my 6 year old), Shawn seems to want to do everything ryan does. I guess it is the sibling rivalry. I will let them both try almost anything that they want to, but have to be alot more careful with Shawn. Because of the Mito and low muscle tone he can get hurt real easily, emotionally as well as physically.

The other day i was talking to my 12 year old nephew who had played lacrosse and he mentioned that Ryan should try it. I let him know that I was thinking about it and all of a sudden i hear "You are going to let Ryan play lacrosse but not me". Now Shawn is very aware of his limitations and I'm sure deep down he knows that this would be real tough on him. He was saying things like I can hit the other kids with the lacross sticks and I get to push them down. So I'm wondering if there is some feelings toward other kids or if he was just trying to show off in front of his cousins and brother.

Anyways - Shawn has already done a very good job with the play and he loves the theatre and movies, he is interested in music and the guitar, so i will help him to learn these things the best I can. I think he longs to be able to play sports with the other kids because he actually likes some of the sports.

I guess we keep trying - baseball will probably be next!

If any of you have children that are in these types of situations please post your story, I would love to hear it.

No comments:

Post a Comment